SVSEF Team Descriptions
Basic skiing techniques, all-mountain, introduction to GS and slalom training, mogul progression and park/pipe progression will be part of the season training.
Dryland Training begins November 4,Tuesdays and Thursdays (except Nov 20 & 27), 3 – 4:30 p.m.
Dryland Sessions will be a combination of outdoor cardio and indoor trampoline, strength, balance and agility training. Dryland Training is encouraged so that kids get to know their coaches and teammates and are in shape for skiing when the season starts!
Evaluations for new applicants: December 1, 2, 3 from 2:45-4 p.m. at River Run.
Ski training will start on December 6 if conditions allow. Otherwise, we will begin on December 13.
D Team Training is on Saturdays and Sundays, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Meet on top at 10 a.m.; end at Warm Springs at 2 p.m.
Prep Team-9-11 years old (3 year experience)
The purpose of the S.V. Freestyle Prep team is to provide young athletes with the opportunities to experience skiing with a more focused approach. Summer and winter training schedules increase as well as competition schedules. The Prep team is “Devo advanced”. It provides one after school training session each week (Fridays) on Baldy. The Prep team averages 59 days on snow and winter Air Barn sessions. Fall dryland at the Airbarn is offered at an additional cost.
- Build upon peer relationships established on Devo team.
- Continue to instill respect for people, places, and property.
- Increase confidence towards skiing all types of terrain and all types of snow conditions.
- Improve jumping skills/aerial awareness through trampoline, water ramp and on snow training.
- Increased potential for freestyle competitions
- Prepare athletes for the commitment and dedication of the Comp teams.
Training format- Prep team
- Prep team trains 3 days/week (Fri-Sun) averaging 59 days/season on snow and winter Air Barn sessions. Fall dryland sessions are offered at an additional cost.
- Water ramp camp possible, August each year
- Athletes train on Baldy mtn- moguls, all mountain (off piste terrain) Dollar mtn - halfpipe/terrain park features
2014-15 Freestyle/Snowboard Devo and Prep Teams
- Website- www.svsef.org. Includes:
SVSEF- Program news and announcements
Ski team info
Athletes are paired by their ability 1st and peer relationships 2nd.
Group size varies from approximately 4-8 athletes/group
Athletes may be moved from Devo and Prep depending on group dynamics
As Freestyle skiers, athletes will be exposed to various types of terrain including:
Groomed runs, Bowls, Mogul runs (natural & course), Halfpipe, and Dollar terrain park. Basically anywhere in bounds on Baldy and Dollar.
Well fitting boots with thin ski socks (not cotton). Thick wool socks lead to cold, sore feet.
Twin tips or jr GS (103-105mm tip, 66-68mm waist, 86-89mm tail) skis are preferred. Recommend lease packages from local shops.
Helmets are required during all training